The amount of time it takes to complete a bathroom remodel depends on a number of factors, such as the size of the bathroom, the complexity of the project, and availability of materials and contractors. Your bathroom remodeling contractor can give you an estimated start and completion time based on your specific project.
How Long Will My Bathroom Remodel Take to Complete?
As a very general rule of thumb, it takes about two or three weeks to complete a bathroom “makeover” that requires no plumbing or electrical changes. This time frame is typical for an average sized bathroom in Fairfax and includes replacing tile, installing a new vanity and toilet, and painting. No permits and inspections are necessary.
If you are thinking about a larger bathroom remodeling project, plan on several more weeks, at least. An average hallway bathroom of 40 square feet approximately takes at least four or five weeks. For a very large bathroom, the project can take a couple of months or more to be fully completed. You can save time and expense if you have two bathrooms to do at the same time.
Special features can add to the total time. For example, custom glass shower doors that need to be templated and installed can take three weeks or more to arrive from the day they are templated.
Professional Bathroom Remodel Steps
The size of the bathroom limits the amount of tradespeople who can be in there working at the same time. Each trade normally arrives on set days and no other tradesperson can work on those days. There simply is not enough space to accommodate all of the people and their tools and equipment.
1. Initial Consultation. Meet with a reputable bathroom remodeling contractor to discuss your project. This is the time to ensure that you have realistic expectations about the cost and time involved in what you have in mind. You should get a ballpark idea from each contractor you are considering before you get too far into the details. A contractor will likely tell you that a complete bathroom renovation costs more than people expect. The cost and time it takes to complete will depend on the materials you use and how extensive the project is. Take as much time as you need in the consultation process to get comfortable with a contractor.
2. Measurements. The contractor will need to come to your home and look at the bathroom you plan to remodel. The contractor will take measurements, evaluate the existing plumbing and electrical supply, and determine the extent of demolition that may be needed.
One way to save money on the remodel is to select new fixtures that work with your existing plumbing. If your remodel plans include gutting and changing the bathroom floor plan completely, your cost goes up. The contractor will evaluate what may be involved in the construction and take notes and measurements to make sure the new floor plan works within the space allotted. Knowing what walls may have to come down or be built, where the plumbing and electrical supplies are situated is critical to getting accurate estimates from the contractor.
3. Materials. Making decisions on your tile, fixtures, and flooring at early in the process is the best way to ensure a smooth project completion. Also, you will save yourself time and money by selecting all of your finish materials at the planning stage. Don’t hesitate to ask your contractor if they can pass along to you any discounts on fixtures and materials, and find out if they have access to warehouse clearance and wholesale items. If you make changes once the project begins, it adds to your cost and can create significant delays waiting for materials that are not readily available and were not procured ahead of time.
If you plan to replace your bathtub or shower pan, your contractor may need to make a lot of adjustments to the flooring, wall studs, and so forth, to support the new components.
4. 3d Renderings. Many professional remodeling contractors can provide you with 3d renderings of your planned remodel. This preview is a fantastic opportunity for you to make last minute changes to design and materials before the project gets underway. Once the project begins, the cost of making changes can increase significantly.
5. Permitting. Your project must conform to state and local building codes. Your professional bathroom remodeling contractor will ensure that the project passes any necessary inspections such as plumbing and electrical as the project proceeds. These permitting processes can take several days, depending on the schedules of the inspectors.
6. Demolition. Demolition can proceed fairly quickly once the power and water supplies are turned off. Walls will come down.
7. Plumbing. Your contractor will need to install any new plumbing early in the project. The floor plan will show where each new feature will go, such as sink, shower, bathtub, etc. They will also replace old piping in the bathroom if needed.
8. Electrical. Now is the time to replace faulty wiring and bring it up to code. Wiring for new electrical fixtures will be installed.
9. Walls. Once all of the plumbing, electrical, and inspections are completed, the new walls can go up. New cement board or backer board will be installed in the wet areas like the shower, tub, and sink surrounds, and wherever new tile will go up. If called for by the plans, any new dry wall will be installed and later painted.
A bathroom remodel frequently involves new floor and wall tile. Tile needs to be adhered to the wall or the subfloor and then left to cure for 24 hours. Then, the tile will be grouted, and the grout needs another 24 hours to dry. Tiling can take several days to complete before it can be cleaned.
10. Vanity, sink, plumbing and light fixtures. Your pre-selected materials for these components will be installed. Don’t forget other items like towel bars, rings, toilet paper holders, and mirrors.
11. Touch up paint. The last task is to touch up trim and other painted areas that may have been damaged during the project.
Contact a Professional Fairfax Bathroom Remodeling Contractor for More Information
As you can now understand, a bathroom remodeling project involves more than many people expect. It is easy to underestimate the cost and time it takes to have a professionally remodeled, beautiful new bathroom that adds value and years of enjoyment to your home. Speak to a professional Fairfax bathroom remodeling contractor about your plans and schedule a free consultation.